Dmitri's Bucket of Projects

A log of Dmitri's various projects to capture useful information for others and himself.

When do you stop frogging and just put the project down.

2005/03/29

    That's the question for my scarf. I've started this 5 or 6 times now, and I have to say, it is discouraging. I think the design I chose is not optimal for the combination of yarn and color from a learning perspective. I've no doubt someone with a lot more experience could whip through it without thinking. As project number two, I think it is beyond my grasp. The yard is very thin and the pattern uniform in spot so my tension needs to be much better than it is. I also need to stop trying to knit on the train. It moves too much and I'm not good enough to compensate yet. My first project went well, but I think that happened because I was doing a more forgiving project. And I was doing it, while sitting on my futon with good lighting, minimal distraction, and for at least and hour at a time giving me a chance to get into a rhythm.

    The question is do I change the pattern, change the yarn, or change the project? I'm thinking about doing the later, moving to a thicker yarn, and just doing a seed-stitch pattern. Before that, though, I want to work the 4-by-4 square to death. I want to study some of the other stitches, and more importantly learn how to fix a mistake without frogging. Oh, and practice my tension the whole time.

5 Comments:

Blogger The MacKay Way said...

Don't get discouraged!
Perhaps a switching of project FOR NOW, after you've played with some squares is GOOD!
You can always knit up some squares and help me make a blanket with random squares! Would be FUN! A together project!
xoxox k

3/30/2005 4:12 AM  
Blogger J. said...

I agree with kinberli ( she sent me by the way) I am newish knitter myself and I when I started I knit a lot of thingss in just plain old garter stich before I tried something that had a pattern. I knit a number of hats and blanket quares in the beginning. I would not give up entirely, just take a break and start something else. I usually have 2 or 10 things on the go. Happy knitting

3/30/2005 6:53 AM  
Blogger Olugbemisola (Mrs.Pilkington) said...

hang in there! i agree with kimberli -- maybe you can put it down for a bit and play around a little. a "couple-blanket project" would be adorable. maybe changing the yarn for the scarf might help, but if you really like it and the pattern, i say stick with both.

3/30/2005 12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi ! Don't be upset ! My first 2 projects were garter stitch scarves only. But, they took me long time to complete. I think you are at the beginning of learning curve. You have to overcome some obstacles and then everything will become easy !

I think it is good idea to knit some squares and then assmeble them into cushions or blanket. It is good of home decoration !

3/30/2005 8:45 PM  
Blogger The Queen of the Snow Cows said...

I think the main culprit is trying to knit on the train. I for one have stopped doing that and my knitting projects are better for it.

Switching projects for a bit is also a great idea.

3/31/2005 10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home